The d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy is a dedicated programme designed to support excellent tennis players who wish to develop their tennis career alongside studying their A-Levels and getting all the benefits of a d’Overbroeck’s education. You will receive individual coaching throughout the year from coaches at our programme partner, the North Oxford Tennis Club. The programme will be launching in September 2020 and we are now accepting applications from students who would like to be considered.
To be eligible for the d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy programme, you will need to have an LTA rating of at least 4.2 or higher. In order for us to assess your tennis ability, you will be required to attend an interview where we will also watch you play with our coaches at the North Oxford Tennis Club. If you are an international student and are unable to attend an interview in person, we will arrange a video interview with you instead.
You will also need to meet our standard academic entry requirements, which are listed here.
What is included in the programme?
The d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy is run in partnership with the North Oxford Tennis Club, which is a 10-15 minute walk from the school. The programme includes the following on a weekly basis:
- 3.5 hours of d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy group coaching sessions
- 5 hours of North Oxford Tennis Club squad (ability appropriate) coaching sessions
- 2 hours of one-to-one Tennis coaching sessions
- School competitions and fees when you are representing d’Overbroeck’s
- Access to indoor tennis courts for additional practice
- Strength and conditioning programmes
- Discounted access to sports massage and injury rehabilitation programmes
- Player assessment and reports
For students on the Tennis Academy programme, all of the above will be included in our standard school fees. Please note there will be additional costs for gym membership (£48 per month), additional one-to-one coaching, sports massage and injury rehabilitation services and entry fees to club competitions.
North Oxford Tennis Club
We are delighted to offer the d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy in partnership with the North Oxford Tennis Club. The club has around 500 members and offers many benefits for our students on the programme, including:
- 9 floodlit macadam hard courts for all year-round tennis
- 10 grass courts maintained by full-time groundsmen
- Fantastic clubhouse with function room, wifi and changing rooms with showers
- Host of the British Tour Singles Competition (Pre-Wimbledon qualifier) each year
- Host of the Oxfordshire Junior County Championships
- Host of the Junior and Senior County cup championships
- National Tier representation in LTA Team Tennis event
- Multiple teams in Oxford league tennis
- 30 juniors train and compete for Oxfordshire in County squads and competitions
- 10 juniors in the regional training programme
- All coaches are LTA licensed with up-to-date safeguarding, First Aid and DBS checks
- The club runs many internal events including box leagues, charity events, social events, team training and club nights
Chris is an LTA level 5 Master Club coach and was awarded LTA national club coach of year 2015 for developing the Ace scheme to support Gifted and Talented children from under-privileged backgrounds. He has been Head Coach at North Oxford Tennis Club for 12 years and has been coaching full–time for 20 years. He coaches players of all ages at club, county, regional and national level. Chris combines his role at the club with coaching at the AELTC, Wimbledon.
Allan is an LTA level 3 coach and a USPTR Performance coach. He was previously an international tennis player until injury prevented him from pursuing his dream as a full-time senior pro. He combines his current role with working with a handful of futures players from London and the club’s top juniors. He is a very experienced and high-level performance coach.
Joe is an LTA level 3 coach with a background in performance tennis. He regularly represents Oxfordshire and North Oxford in national events. He has also played in Los Angeles, USA as part of the American college tennis system. Joe works with all our top 18U players.
Tom is an LTA level 4 senior coach. He trains all levels of players at the club as well as captaining and managing many County teams for Oxfordshire. He also acts as the club’s competition manager, organising all their internal and external competitions. His other business, Game, Set and Matchplay organises competitions across the South region. He is also an LTA qualified tournament referee.
Cobi is an LTA level 3 coach. Like Joe, Cobi played college tennis in America. He plays to international level and has been a hitting partner for a number of top international junior and senior players. He also specialises in Strength and Conditioning.
How to apply
To apply for the d’Overbroeck’s Tennis Academy 2020, please contact our Admissions Team: email@example.com. For any questions please get in touch with Johny Richards, Director of Sport: firstname.lastname@example.org.