STA’s Junior Lifeguard Academy is a survival and rescue training programme that has been specifically created for young people. The fun-packed programme offers something for everyone; from lifeguarding skills and first aid, to boogie boarding, ocean awareness, distance, sports skills and health and wellbeing.
This half term, during their Thursday Activity session, students have worked towards the Seal 1 award which is the first award in the Seal series. The series is based around an introduction to the key lifesaving skills.
Seal 1 Requirements:
1. Perform a shout and signal rescue to a weak swimmer 5 metres away
2. Perform a survival entry, tread water/float for 2 minutes, swim 5 metres to an aid, float using the H.E.L.P. position for 2 minutes
3. Swim 10 metres front crawl, swim 10 metres head up front crawl, swim 10 metres side stroke, swim 10 metres breaststroke, swim 10 metres lifesaving backstroke
4. Perform a wading rescue and tow to an unconscious casualty 5 metres away
5. Swim 5 metres, perform a head first surface dive, swim 5 metres underwater.
During their assessment lesson on 7 February all students confidently completed the above requirements and received a certificate to mark their fantastic achievement. Well done to Alex and Andriy!
Next half term we will be working towards the next level of the Seal Series and also the life skills, first aid and CPR elements of lifesaving.
Kathryn Avent – Teacher of PE