Evening and Weekend Activities and Trips
Your school social life will be a fun and busy one with plenty to do in the evenings and at weekends. Social activities take place with the Sixth Form (A level) students so you will mix with British students and make friends. Here are some of the things we do:
- Local cultural events such as Bonfire Night fireworks or Christmas Lights Festival
- Film nights
- Theatre trips and concerts
Sometimes your teachers will also organise after-school activities related to their subject. We also offer weekend trips to sights of historical and cultural interest. These are compulsory at the start of the year, becoming optional later on, as you develop your own interests and activities.
Here are some of the places we go to:
- Bath: Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, the Christmas Market
- Birmingham: Black Country Living Museum, the Selfridges building
- Cambridge: Scott Polar Museum, Fitzwilliam Museum, King’s College chapel
- London: Sightseeing, Covent Garden, Globe Theatre, South Bank Centre
- Portsmouth: Royal Dockyards, HMS Victory, the Mary Rose, Spinnaker Tower
- Mudeford Quay: Sightseeing at a coastal beauty spot with a boat ride
And of course, as you will be living in the world famous university city of Oxford, there are always plenty of cultural events and sights to see. Oxford is quite a small city and well known for its bicycles, which many people use to get around. There are plenty of buses and you can buy a bus pass which allows you to travel as many times as you want within the city. In most cases you will be able to walk – nothing is too far away.
Our more adventurous trips are a highlight of life at d’Overbroeck’s. At the end of each year we go to other countries such as Italy, to visit Pompeii, Vesuvius and the beautiful island of Capri or Spain, where we went to Barcelona and the beautiful region of Catalunya.