Start date:January or April
Duration: 4 or 5 terms
English level: A2 and above on the Common European Framework (CEFR)
Academic level: Academically able student looking to achieve good grades
Students will begin by studying:
- Intensive, general and academic English and Maths
- Science (combined Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
- Humanities (including History, Geography and Religious Education)
- Art and Performing Arts (Music and Drama)
- A Modern Foreign Language (French, German or Spanish)
- Personal Development (Personal, Social and Health Education)
TRACK: Theory of Research, Active Citizenship & Knowledge
This is an innovative part of the curriculum for all students at the International School.
Studying this programme ensures they are on the right track to develop key skills for future studies in the UK or abroad including the International Baccalaureate.
- Global Citizenship
- Community Action and Service
- Theory of Knowledge
- Project work: student research a topic area (homelessness, language and communication, food, water and the environment) and work as a team, researching causes of the particular problem, a negotiated and agreed viable plan, and some form of meaningful action
- Extended Project (Level 1 or 2): students choose an area of own academic research (optional)
This will enable students to develop the study skills which they will need to succeed in the UK (writing skills, essay skills, research skills and a stronger, academic english).
The course will also give students an insight into a range of different subjects in the UK. This will help them choose the IGCSEs that match their skills and future plans.
In September of Year 2 students will start the intensive study programme for their chosen GCSE subjects. These must include English, Maths and one Science. However students then have options which include a choice of 2 subjects from:
Art, Biology, Business, Chemistry, French, Geography, German, History, Physics or Spanish
Students may also study:
- their own language (if available)
- additional Maths (if appropriate)
All students will also be part of our TRACK programme which prepares them for future study in Sixth Form in the UK whether this be A levels or the International Baccalaureate.
The following is an example timetable showing a student’s typical week at The International School. Click to view PDF.