Our staff members enjoy the interest and challenge that working in a ‘global environment’ offers and they value diversity in their classrooms because it enriches every student’s learning. Many have worked or studied abroad, so have personally experienced the difficulty of operating in another language or in a different culture. As an international student at d’Overbroeck’s, you will benefit from this experience and our commitment to continually developing our own expertise.
“The students’ spiritual, moral and cultural development is excellent.”
Independent Schools Inspectorate Report
- Our subject specialist teachers are experienced in teaching non-native speakers of English and adapt their teaching to these learners
- We offer additional in-house English language and cultural awareness training and on-going support for our subject specialist teachers
- We are active members of BAISIS (the British Association of Independent Schools with International Students) giving d’Overbroeck’s teachers access to training provided by experts in the field of international education.
- Our English teachers have the DELTA, DTEFLA or equivalent, the highest level of qualification in English language teaching
- We are active members of BALEAP (British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes) and OXDOSA, our local association for English language teaching professionals
- Our English language teaching provision is regularly inspected by the British Council and we currently have eleven strengths as stated in our publishable statement.
- Our pastoral and boarding staff regularly attend external conferences and training events to help them meet the needs of international students, including those run by BAISIS
- All staff remain up to date on international qualifications through briefings provided by the British Council, UCAS (University and College Admissions Service) and WES (World Education Services) webinars, as well as through our membership of UKCISA (the UK Council for International Student Affairs) AEGIS (the Association for Education and Guardianship of International Student) and the BSA (British Boarding Schools’ Association).